What causes printer spooler error?
Mostly, the errors are caused by changes in the settings of the printer spooler. Such simple errors can prevent the print jobs from printing out, thus causing the documents to lie pending in the queue. Accessing the print spooler settings and changing the settings is one way to resolve this issue.
What is a print spooler and how does it work?
The Spooler is a special process that manages access to printers by multiple users. For most users, the function of the Spooler is transparent. They generate a job for a printer and go to the printer to pick up the output. … It spools print jobs by directing the output from a user’s process to a print file.
How do I find the print spooler?
- Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialogue. Type services. msc and press ↵ Enter . Double-click Print Spooler.
- Alternatively, click Start → Control Panel → Administrative Tools → Services → Print Spooler.
How do I fix printer spooler?
To solve this error, try the following steps.
- Press “Window key” + “R” to open the Run dialog.
- Type “services. msc“, then select “OK“.
- Double-click the “Printer Spooler” service, and then change the startup type to “Automatic“. …
- Restart the computer and try to install the printer again.
How do you clear a printer spooler?
Windows: Clear Print Queue
- Select Start.
- Type Command .
- Right-click “Command Prompt” and select “Run as administrator“.
- Type net stop spooler then press “Enter“.
- Type del %systemroot%System32spoolprinters* /Q then press “Enter“.
- Type net start spooler then press “Enter“.
- The print queue on your Windows should now be cleared.
How do I clear the print spooler?
How to Delete Files from the Windows Print Spooler Directory
- Stop the spooler service.
- Navigate to %SystemRoot%System32spoolPRINTERS, on most systems this will be the path C:WindowsSystem32spoolPRINTERS.
- Delete all flies in this directory.
- Restart the spooler service.
Should I spool or print directly to printer?
Unless the spooler is malfunctioning, I recommend always spooling the document rather than printing directly to the printer. The process of printing directly from a program is much slower than spooling a print job because the program sends the print job to the printer at the same time it builds the print job.
What does the print spooler service do?
The Print Spooler is software built into the Windows operating system that temporarily stores print jobs in the computer’s memory until the printer is ready to print them.
What is the difference between buffering and spooling?
Spooling overlaps the input and output of one job with the computation of another job. Buffering on other hand overlaps the input and output of one job with the computation of the same job. Spooling requires less resource management as compare to buffering as different resources manages the process for specific jobs.
How do I clear the print spooler on my HP printer?
The Services menu opens. Right-click Print Spooler and select Stop. After the service has been stopped, close the service window and use Windows Explorer to browse to C:WindowsSystem32SpoolPRINTERS. Delete all files inside the PRINTERS folder.
Why is my printer spooling?
Printer spooling enables you to send large document files or a series of them to a printer, without needing to wait until the current task is finished. Think of it as a buffer or cache. It’s a place that your documents can “line up” and get ready to be printed after a previous printing task is completed.
How do I start the print spooler service?
How to Manually Stop and Start the Print Spooler
- Click the Start button and select Run. …
- In the Command Prompt type, net stop spooler, then press Enter to Stop the Print Spooler.
- In the Command Prompt type, net start spooler, then press Enter to Start the Print Spooler.
Why does print spooling take so long?
Another cause might be that the disk drive is simply not large enough. Print jobs typically grow multiple times in size when they are rendered, so this problem can occur when multiple print jobs are submitted for spooling simultaneously. Therefore, make sure that the hard disk isn’t too small.